CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

2/24/09

Funky Diva Do & How To:

I have NO idea what to call this knot, but was asked to explain how it is made...This is how I do it!

WARNING...this knot is not MY knot!
I HAVE seen this done on other hair blogs, like this fun blog and I am SURE many others have done it before too.

I apologize for taking forever to get this done...My dd was sick and throwing up... "every" time she starts throwing up her little body will NOT quit until she goes in to the clinic for I.V.'s and phenergan ... so, yet again we took her in as a live pin cushion... poor kid! Any way she is feeling much better now and is again willing to let me play with her hair...

Start by sectioning off your first piece of hair.


Then section that part into two pieces.


Take those two pieces and cross them just like you would when tying a shoe. It'll look like this...


Now you should have two strands of hair that look like this, and instead of pulling the strands tight right here, you want to take the left strand and wrap it up through the hole you have created. Then take the right strand and loop it over and through again. It should look like this...





Now you pull the strands tight to make this...


For this funky diva do we started by parting the hair down the middle. Take a small section on either side and section it off into your two smaller sections, tie it up, and cinch it tight. We did this 3X on each side. This leaves you with tails in the middle...

With all the tails we did a twist and added the extra tails in as we went toward the back. After getting to the back of each of these knotty rows, we tied it off with an elastic.
We then took the tail from the other side of the knot and made a twist on each end of them then swept them up into a pony tail and finished that off with a messy bun.



I hope this explanation helps...if not, let me know and I will record a clip showing the process.


Now, on to another How To:
Squishy Braids

WARNING: This is not MY braid!
This, I call a squishy braid. I have also seen it called the "rick rack" braid here...

I learned how to do this when my dd was just a toddler without enough hair to even do it on but LOVED it and couldn't wait until she had enough hair to try it.

All you do is a simple three stranded braid making sure you don't braid the hair tightly. You want a loose braid. Practice makes perfect!


Braid down as far down as you can. Then you will pinch together two strands in one hand and the remaining strand with the other hand.

With the fingers pinching the two strands together, slowly start to push/slide the braid upward toward the roots of the hair all the while holding the single strand in place.



After you squish your braid secure it with an elastic band and style!
hint: to eliminate little frizzies use gel of pomade etc before braiding

I hope this explanation worked...If not make sure to comment and I'll try to get a short clip posted!




5 comments:

Vicki said...

Hi there!! Glad to have found your blog. I love all the sites - they help me tremendously!! I'm not realy creative!!! ;)

I'm still trying to master the perfect "messy bun" and not doing so well. Just curious how you do yours. Seems like everyone has their own way and I'm trying to find one that works for me!!! :)

Thanks (and for the step by steps!!!) :)

Crissie said...

Absolutely ADORABLE!!!! Can't wait to try this one! xoxoxoxo and thanks so much for your kind comments on my blog. They made my morning. :)

jeNnA said...

ThankS so much for the Explanation! :)

Mama Jane said...

cute!

Question: Is gel of pomade a generic term or name brand? What is is suppose to do exactly? I have just started really trying some of these extra fancy styles on my dd and I cannot find anything with the name pomade in the name at Walmart. Do I have to go to a beauty supply? (please share some of the brand names you have uses...photos of products may be helpful too)

I did try a leave in conditioner today,but I still felt like she had flyaways...not the nice smooth hair I was looking for. TIA

Anonymous said...

I love the hairdo's! You seem to have perfected the messy bun, is there any way that you could leave step by step instructions or a video on how to do it?
Thanks,
Rhaya